"But they that wait upon the Lord shall renew their strength; they shall mount up with wings as eagles; they shall run, and not be weary; and they shall walk, and not faint."-Isaiah 40:31

Saturday, October 11, 2008

Week Six (7/30/08)-São Paulo CTM

Well...some of the other missionaries thought it would be cool to waste time on the computers and now I really only have about 15 minutes rather than 45 minutes to write. Anyway, the week went well. Not much has happened that is too terribly different from what has occurred in the past. The language is going great and I'm learning a lot. In my free time, actually during gym time in particular, I've been working pretty hard to keep the weight off. I came here in the 150's and I plan on staying that way if possible. My skills on the basketball court have done the Mackay name proud...it's funny how good you can get at something when it's all you do in your free time.

So, this week we went out to Avenida Paulistas, which is comparable to New York's Wall Street. To give a brief recap of our experience, all I'm going to say is that the people weren't very interested in our message and there are some crazy people out there. At one point, I was hassled by a mute man. From his gestures, it became apparent to me that he wasn't the least bit happy with me. He ripped a Book of Mormon out of my hand and threw it into oncoming traffic where it was repeatedly run over. I retrieved the book and eventually gave it to a man who seemed really interested. That is a true and unfabricated story. Other than that interesting experience, everything else went well and we only have one more time of teaching on the streets before we get sent to our different missions.

Some people were asking how much longer before I leave for Manaus. I have less than three weeks until I leave. I can't wait to get out of the CTM and get to work. Speaking of Manaus, four missionaries arrived today who are also going there: two from Arizona, one from Las Vegas, and I really don't remember where the other one is from.

On a final note, there is a really cool juice place right around the corner from the CTM that has the best fresh juice ever and it's dirt cheap. Every P-day our district goes there to write letters and try a few new flavors. Cousin Connie, you asked if Brazil has good salsa...the answer to that is yes! It's like pico de gallo.

Sorry, this letter is so short...next week's will be better. Best of all, the Internet is especially slow today and I can't upload pictures...sorry. Now that the mail strike is over, I have finally begun to receive letters. I also appreciate all the emails. I read them all and wish I had time to respond to everyone individually, but this week just didn't quite work out.

-Elder Taylor Mackay

No comments: