"But they that wait upon the Lord shall renew their strength; they shall mount up with wings as eagles; they shall run, and not be weary; and they shall walk, and not faint."-Isaiah 40:31

Saturday, October 11, 2008

Week Five (7/23/08)-São Paulo CTM

Hello Everyone,

I would just like to start this letter off with an apology...I did not take a single picture this week due to the fact that nothing too terribly different has happened. I will take a picture with the whole district by the map before too long, though. Another reason there aren't any pictures is that I have become fairer-skinned and I look like Newman on Seinfeld...I have gained a good 17 pounds since we don't do anything here but sit in class.

Anyway, just a little summary of the past week...I had to teach the first lesson with my companion to a Portuguese family while being videotaped for evaluation. But wait...if that wasn't hard enough, I got ripped away from Elder Jones at the last minute and tossed into what I might call a "less fluent" pair of elders...so we taught in 3's. I don't want to brag, but I was kind of a crutch, especially when it came time for questions. I was actually thankful, though, because I was given a chance to really show what I've learned and go off knowledge rather than memorization.

Later this week we're being kicked out of vans again in an undisclosed location to proselyte, which is always awesome. I guess this time we might end up going to the "Wall Street" area, but nothing here is what I would call reliable, so don't count on it.

Mom, you mentioned Elder Olsen...I actually spoke with him probably an hour ago and hit elbows with him (we aren't allowed to shake hands in the cafeteria). From the looks and sounds of things, everything is going well. He looks like he's more alert than I was my first day...probably the longest day of my life.

I was beginning to tire of the food here, especially after I found out that all their animal products are pumped full of 'roids, but it's basically my only break, so I've started to associate food with freedom...probably not a good habit. I'm sort of learning to play the piano, so that's new. As for my finger, I think it is getting better. The doctor told me it'll probably take about a year before it's back to normal, but it's not too inconvenient.

It was great hearing how everyone is doing. I really appreciate the letters. They brighten my day even more (speaking of which, the weather here is a little humid in the mornings, but by noon, it's extremely sunny and about 86 degrees outside our classroom window). It's nice to know that life still rolls on and things are going great...continue keeping me informed. I read every single letter. I'm running out of things to talk about in general since I've been in the CTM for 5 weeks, so if anyone has any questions they would like answered, just let me know and I'll answer them the following week...sorry it takes so long. Have a great week!

-Elder Taylor Mackay

FYI- Just in case you really thought I'd gained 17 pounds, I guess now would be a good time to tell you I was only kidding...I just needed a little bit of suspense to spice up my letter.

No comments: