"But they that wait upon the Lord shall renew their strength; they shall mount up with wings as eagles; they shall run, and not be weary; and they shall walk, and not faint."-Isaiah 40:31

Wednesday, February 24, 2010

No Princípio Criou Deus Os Céus e A Terra...e A Amazônia

This week flew by fast. Get this...a pair of my shoes had a massive hole in the bottom, so I gave them to a member in the ward to resole. That left me with only one other pair. Then, out of nowhere, a hole emerges in the heel and then another in the forefoot. I couldn't believe it! Since it happens to be the rainy season, I'm walking around like a homeless person with a layer of cardboard between my foot and my shoe. Fortunately, I'm the only one who knows, but let's hope those other shoes get fixed soon.

Today we decided to go to the Bola da Suframa to go bowling or to play soccer on a synthetic field. As luck would have it, the bowling facility doesn't open until 3 p.m. and the guy who watches over the field decided to take an undetermined amount of time for a coffee break. Since we were already a distance from home, we decided to visit the Amazonian Cultural Center since none of the other missionaries had been there. It was pretty cool to learn more about the culture, people, and rituals.

In other news, I don't know if I have mentioned my favorite team here in Brazil, but it is called Bota Fogo. There was a big tournament with all the teams in Rio de Janeiro...and they won! I'll include a picture in next week's e-mail.

As for the missionary work, it is going well. We are working with four family members of a rapaz (boy) called Gabriel, three of which already have baptismal dates. They are really interested in the Church, enjoy our visits, and are keeping the commandments. We just have to continue teaching and answering their questions so that all goes well on the 13th of March. Along with this family, we have a few others we are teaching...several of which are progressing.

Our district is doing really well. We are by no means the highest baptizing district, but I would like to think we're the highest quality. In the past two weeks, we have baptized three people: one man and one family. Not too bad, right? March is looking to be a big month for our district (Jardim Botânico - the new Canaranas). We have made a goal of nine baptisms, three of which will be men and two of which will be families. I have absolutely no doubt that we can reach the goal we have made. All in all, we actually have a potential of eleven baptisms, so I'll be doing quite a few interviews and divisions.

This past week I received a little envelope from a friend (Aaryn...thanks a ton) with a letter, picture, and sweet tie. It goes great with my suit...check out the pics. It made my day at conference since it had been over a month since I had received anything from anyone.

That's pretty crazy that you encountered someone online who is here in Cidade de Deus with me. They were pretty excited to be corresponding with my family in the States. That's about all for this week...thanks for the love and support.

Abraço,
Elder Taylor Mackay

No comments: