"But they that wait upon the Lord shall renew their strength; they shall mount up with wings as eagles; they shall run, and not be weary; and they shall walk, and not faint."-Isaiah 40:31

Thursday, August 27, 2009

It's a Delivery and Mackay

I know what you are thinking...It's just not possible to have that much awesomeness all at once, but don't be fooled. Nothing is impossible and last night the missionaries of Missão Brasil Manaus became witnesses of that fact. Starting at about 8:30 p.m., our caminhão driver showed up and we started loading his truck with the various products we had ordered in previous weeks (all of which were delivered to the office earlier in the afternoon). With speed and cuidado, we piled the products high and got the big list for all the zones of Manaus. It was a long night and it didn't help that the streets here are not very well maintained and our driver was about 60+ years old. Needless to say, after a few near misses and a ridiculously uncomfortable ride, all the merchandise was delivered. We stopped in every zone, grabbed the leaders, and had them direct the driver to the respective areas within the zone. Some knew better than others and had prepared, but unfortunately, there were some that had not. At one point, we spent an hour driving around just trying to find a house. They really tested my patience but whatever...we did our part.

So, just to give you an idea of how tired I am...I had a normal workday in Staff, then hopped in the truck at 8:30 p.m., and finally arrived back at the escritório at 6:30 in the morning! My arrival time back is basically the time we're supposed to be getting up. I didn't sleep at all during the ride, so I laid down for a few hours and then didn't have a choice but to wake up and get working again. I might call it quits a little early tonight to make up for the loss of sleep.

This was a legit week of work: the lessons were good, the numbers were good, and we helped 10+ people make it to church (for many it was their first visit). We have a few people we are teaching and preparing for baptism, which should take place in September. I'm not going to give dates because when I do, everything seems to fall through. However, the names of those we are teaching are: Adriana, Ana Vitória, Anderson, Andrews, Erika, Glaucia, Marivane, Tatiana, and Wellington...along with a few others. The Ward Flores is finally getting back on its feet and rolling with the visits, which will definitely re-activate people and boost attendance.

One of the week's highlights, which doesn't have much to do with actual missionary work, was the lunch we had at the house of our temporary Ward Mission Leader. He is from Rio Grande Do Sul and decided to treat us to a churrasco on Saturday. It was pretty good and at the same time kind of weird since chicken heart was on the menu. It actually tasted fine, but the fact that you can see the divisions in the heart and the rubbery texture when you bite into it makes it a little less appetizing.

In other news, I had a meeting with President Jayme and was asked for a few names of elders who can take my place here in the office. I'm not sure, but I'm thinking I'll finish out this transfer alone and then I'll be training the noob the next transfer. Afterward, I'll be roaming around, teaching, and whatnot in another area. It caught me by surprise...I was like shoot...already? ...names? But then it hit me, this is my fourth transfer here and a total of five in one area is a lot. It will be a welcome change and a necessary step so nobody "dies" (ends their mission) in Staff. Well, that's about all I have for this week. I hope I was able to answer a few of the questions. Until next week…tchau!

Abraço,
Elder Taylor Mackay

No comments: